Taken from the HelpFinder Bible
Humility is the honest recognition of our own worth—our worth as God sees us. It is the delicate balance between humbly recognizing our sin yet knowing how much God loves and values us. While pride elevates us above others, and often above God himself, degrading our sense of self-worth is also unacceptable, for it denies the value God placed upon us when he created us in his image and when he sent his Son to die for us. Jesus did not die for worms but for people he loves very much, and those people have great value in God’s eyes. To see ourselves as God sees us—that is our goal.
What is true humility?
• 1 CHRONICLES 17:16 | Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and prayed, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?”
Humility is not thinking too highly of yourself.
• MATTHEW 18:4 | “So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.”
Humility is childlike. It has an attitude of total trust in a great God.
• TITUS 3:2 | They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.
Humility is truly caring about others and looking out for their best interests.
• PSALM 51:3-4 | For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you,and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just.
Humility is the willingness to admit and confess sin.
• PROVERBS 12:23 | The wise don’t make a show of their knowledge, but fools broadcast their foolishness.
Humility is refraining from proving what you know, how good you are at something, or that you are always right.
• MARK 10:45 | “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Humility is the pathway to serving God and others.
• PROVERBS 13:10 | Pride leads to conflict; those who take advice are wise.
Humility allows you to ask for advice.