CAROL STREAM, Ill.—November 29, 2021—Tyndale House Ministries (@tyndalehouse) has announced that Doug Knox, Senior Vice President and Publisher, will retire on November 30 after serving at the company for 48 years.
CEO Scott Mathews shared, “Doug Knox will be greatly missed at Tyndale. He has a unique ability to dream big and bring the seemingly impossible to fruition. He has traveled the world connecting with people, and we are all better for it. His legacy and influence will continue to impact Tyndale House Ministries.”
Doug began working at Tyndale House in 1973 in the Sales department and has held roles in Sales, Advertising, Marketing, and International Publishing. He became Vice President of Sales and Marketing in 1984, Associate Publisher in 1993, Senior Vice President and Group Publisher in 1998, and Senior Vice President and Publisher in 2020. Through his years in publishing, Doug managed and grew both the domestic and international publishing and promotion of the New Living Translation (NLT) Bible.
In his years at Tyndale, Doug has been the initiator, developer, and champion of countless new businesses, products, brands, partnerships, and visionary projects. His legacy is evidenced in key pioneering ventures,
• Initiating The Book Project (multi-million-unit product partnership with CBN) in the 1980s.
• Envisioning and producing the groundbreaking children’s video series McGee & Me.
• Serving as Publisher for Dr. James Dobson after the retirement of Dr. Wendell Hawley and publishing many of his bestselling books, including Bringing Up Boys and Bringing Up Girls, among others.
• Launching and growing the New Living Translation Bible. This translation was developed by 92 scholars who worked tirelessly for 10 years to convey the precise meaning of the original text. Today, the NLT has sold over 50 million copies worldwide and has been developed into multiple foreign translations, including Spanish (NTV, Nueva Traducción Viviente), Portuguese (NVT, Nova Versão Transformadora), German, and Afrikaans.
• Launching the Life Application Study Bible in 1989. This Bible continues to be the #1–selling study Bible today.
• Establishing long-time Alliance publishing partnerships with both Focus on the Family and NavPress/The Navigators.
• Appointing Jan Long Harris to launch a second nonfiction imprint for Tyndale. This imprint published such luminaries as Tony Dungy, Mosab Yousef, Dr. James Dobson, Benjamin Watson, and Gracia Burnham and has recently merged with Tyndale’s primary nonfiction imprint.
Doug shared, “The highlights that come to my mind throughout my career at Tyndale are: selling the Living Bible, partnering with CBN to launch The Book, leading the team to brand and launch the NLT, and Bible products like the Life Application Bible, The One Year Bible, The Life Recovery Bible, Inspire Bible, and many more.” He added, “It was fun to work with a creative team to produce and launch McGee & Me, and I have enjoyed Tyndale’s long-term alliances with Focus on the Family and NavPress and many friendships across the global publishing industry.”
Having worked closely with Doug Knox, Vice President and Group Publisher Jeff Rustemeyer commented, “It has been an honor and distinct privilege to work with Doug through the years. He is a dedicated man of God, a strong leader, a role model, and a business visionary. I am so grateful to have worked with him and learned from him during his years of service. His profound legacy throughout the world is a marvelous testimony to his faithful service.”
Regarding his long career at Tyndale and his impending retirement, Doug Knox shared, “Tyndale is a mission-driven company with a team of wonderfully talented people across all departments. My work at Tyndale has been a gift in my life. Tyndale has been a place I could grow spiritually and professionally. The Tyndale team today is the strongest team I’ve seen, and it’s great to see the distribution of the NLT Bible growing rapidly and bringing understanding to life for millions of people in many languages across the world.”
A celebration to express appreciation for Doug’s dedication to his work and his legacy will take place on November 30 at Tyndale House Publishers in Carol Stream, Illinois.