is to convey the meaning of the ancient Hebrew and Greek texts as
accurately as possible to the modern reader. The New Living Translation is based on the most recent scholarship
in the theory of translation. The challenge for the 90 translators who worked 7 years on this project was to create
a text that would make the same impact in the life of modern readers that the original text had for the original
readers. In the New Living Translation, this is accomplished by translating
just words) into natural, everyday English.
1. The text of the HOLY BIBLE, NEW LIVING TRANSLATION (NLT)
, may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio) up
to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, provided that the verses
quoted do not account for more than 25 percent of the work in which they are quoted, and provided that a complete book of the
Bible is not quoted.
2. When the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, is quoted, one of the following credit lines must
appear on the copyright page or title page of the work:
When multiple translations are being used in a project:
Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation,
copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of
Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
When the NLT is being used exclusively in a project:
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale
House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
When multiple translations are being used in a project but the majority will be taken from the NLT:
Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©
1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
3. When quotations from the NLT text are used in non-salable media, such as church bulletins, orders of service, newsletters, transparencies, or similar media, a
complete copyright notice is not required, but the initials (NLT) must appear at the end of each quotation.
4. Publication of any commentary or other Bible reference work produced for commercial sale that uses the NLT requires written
permission for use of the NLT text.
5. Proposal for permission to use text from the NLT in music must be accompanied by complete lyrics.
6. Quotes from the NLT used with graphic designs including T-shirts, book covers, posters, bumper stickers, banners, greeting cards, billboards, or other artwork,
must be clearly detailed in writing on a proposal form sent to us before permission may be granted.
7. All material quoted from the NLT must be done so accurately, including punctuation, capitalization, italics, etc. Tyndale must be made aware of any intended
deviation in style in writing prior to publication.
8. Permission given by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. for the use of text from the NLT applies to the specific use requested. Any other use requires a separate
request for permission. If you have been granted permission for use of text from the NLT, you may not pass permission on to another person.
Permission to quote from the NLT in projects produced for sale may be accompanied by a fee. The amount of this fee is based on the percentage of the total text
that is represented by quotes from the NLT as compared to the total amount of your text in the final product; the distribution of that material; and whether it
is for commercial or non-commercial use. All fees are established to protect our copyright, but 50% of those proceeds go to our foundation to back projects and
licensing translations of Bibles all around the world. The remainder goes toward costs incurred for our staff to monitor these requests, research the details,
and respond according to the policies put into place by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
If you need written permission, or still have questions, please fill out the
. The more details you provide about your
project, the quicker we can process your request.